What should i get for my first real electric guitar?

I have an acoustic guitar and a cheap practically broken electric guitar so i wanted to buy a “real” electric guitar.
My limit is £500 as i have other instruments to buy; what should i get?
I have my eyes on a Strat or a tele at the minute; are the models for £400ish the actual models?

OOOOh, i just came back today from buying a guitar.

If you want a guitar with nice cleans try these

Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Squire 50s vibe telecaster

More distortions try –
Some ibanez – they have good pickups
Epiphone/lower class Gibsons

I mean, they are some recommendations, just keep in mind, when you walk into the shop, don’t base it on the looks. I looked at a Gibson guitar and it looked disgusting, it actually played very well and sounded great.

Also, don’t just limit yourself to strats and teles. Try PRS, they are equally respective if you can get one for a nice price, also, always take a look over second hand stuff, trust me, i got an ibanez prestige rg2570 (950 pounds) for 450!
by:
on: 19th May 12

6 Responses to What should i get for my first real electric guitar?

1. ±DannyB± says:

You should be able to afford a Strat with that budget, otherwise a BCRich or an Ibanez would be good options.

2. TommyMc says:

For £400 you should be able to get a Fender “Standard” Strat or Tele. The Standard Fenders are made in Mexico and are “real” Fenders (as opposed to Squier by Fender) Both are good solid guitars which should last you a long time. The Strat is the more versatile of the two, but both models have been used for most genres of music.

3. Declan says:

OOOOh, i just came back today from buying a guitar.

If you want a guitar with nice cleans try these

Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
    Squire 50s vibe telecaster

More distortions try –
    Some ibanez – they have good pickups
    Epiphone/lower class Gibsons

4. Callum says:

better off with a PRS se or something like an epi les paul or schecter but strats are good as well

5. jimM says:

Be sure to look at the hardware you are getting. Cheaper guitars many times have cheap pickups, tuners, etc… If you know anyone who is an experienced guitar player, bring him with you before you buy. Don’t buy the guitar because of the name only. Play some of them and pick the one that seems like a good fit and is a decent deal for the money.

6. Steve says:

All depends what type of music you play. For Metal go either Jackson, Epiphone, ESP, Ibanez. Rock/Pop go with Fender, Les Paul, Ibanez Country/blues: Fender, Godin