Is switching from acoustic guitar to bass guitar easy?

I want to learn bass guitar but my school only offers classes for acoustic guitar. So can I learn acoustic guitar for a few years (til i get out of school) and than learn to play bass? If so will it be easy?

Bass is easier to pick up and play, but it is a lot harder to be good at bass than to be good at guitar.
by: izzy sky
on: 19th July 10

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Is switching from acoustic guitar to bass guitar easy?

1. Pres Barretto says:

reall easy, it would be more difficult to switch from bass guitar to acoustic actually

2. peacefrompaul says:

Yeah you’ll be fine. Bass is just different. You’ll pick it up fast.

Edit: They both take practice and both have their difficulties. Bass playing is just different. That’s all it is.

3. Stormbringer67 says:

A bass guitar has more weight but you’ll get used to that.
    Also, the frets are wider.
    Advantage: The E A D G strings on the acoustic guitar are the same strings on the bass.
    So it can be done 🙂

4. Shane says:

Yeah, you’ll be fine. Your best bet though, if you want to be a bassist, is learning how to play arpeggios, and learning finger style techniques. Learning those two things while playing Acoustic Guitar will help you immensely when you make the switch over to Bass.

5. Show me how to funk like you do says:

Bass is based around rhythm & locking in with a drummer tightly, guitar plays over that rhythm & groove to provide a melody.
    Whilst both have their physical similarities, they are different instruments with different purposes in a band.
    Neither is easier or harder than the other + the amount of guitarists i’ve seen being ”deadly & good” on bass is poor. They’ve no understanding of the instrument & treat it as a 4 string guitar, if you have a strong background in theory you can manipulate that to bass as the 4 strings resemble the lower 4 strings of a guitar i couldn’t say specifically how good you’d be.

6. punker_rocker says:

I think that switching from a 6-string guitar to a bass guitar would be much easier than the other way around. I had been playing electric and acoustic guitar for about 2 years when my sister bought a bass guitar, and I was able to pick up a bit on the bass without much difficulty. The two biggest differences between a regular guitar and a bass guitar are the fret sizes and the finger-picking techniques, but you’d get used to those pretty quickly. The strings on a bass are also farther apart than on a regular guitar, but I find this makes it easier to play.

Good luck!