How to make an electric guitar sound more acoustic?

I have an electric guitar that I like to play praise and worship songs on. So most of the time I am playing chords, but I can’t seem to get that acoustic sound that makes the chords sound so good. Any suggestions?

Please don’t say buy an acoustic guitar.

Thanks!

I think there are pedals for that. Also, you can change the tone and set a mild distortion on the amp if you can.

Please, check my question:
ty
by: richard
on: 22nd March 09

8 Responses to How to make an electric guitar sound more acoustic?

1. Jake 2.0 says:

There are acoustic guitar sounding pedals…. try one of those.

2. Nick C says:

It’s important to have a good amplifier, so you can get your sound as clean as possible. There are also many FX pedals on the market that can supposedly make your electric guitar sound like an acoustic.
    It also depends on your pick-ups I think. (I play mostly acoustic, so I don’t know too much about electrics.)
    However, nothing you can do with your electric can truly replicate the natural sound of a good acoustic guitar.

3. mixxolydian says:

If you’re just using the guitar itself… not much can be done.
    If its just the guitar and the amp, there are a few things that can be done. I always find that using the pickup closest to the neck gives a brighter and less twangier sound than the one next to the bridge, although on some guitars i find the middle pickup combined with the neck pickup sounds even better. Also, reducing the treble and giving the bass and middle tones make it sound nicer, but don’t lose too much treble (don’t want it ending up like a bass – lol). Aside from that the only other alteration you can make is to reduce the tone from the guitar but this largely depends on the pickups themselves.
    If you’re introducing FX pedals into the mix then ideally an acoustic pedal is the way to go – http://www.tradetalk.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=11362

the link is just an example but if you don’t like Boss pedals there are heaps of other brands 🙂

Hope all that helps

4. Mikey, just Mikey says:

Buy an electric guitar that also has an under-saddle piezo pickup like the Taylor T5, Parker Fly, or Godin LGXT.

5. wazup? says:

turn the tone all the way up, the bass about 75 percent up and the treble about 25 percent and it sould be pretty close

6. richard says:

Please, check my question:
    ty

7. seegeedubya says:

You could try outfitting your guitar with a Fishman Powerbridge pickup. It combines a piezo pickup with “normal” electric guitar pickups. They’re specifically designed to give you an acoustic sound from an electric guitar. They also let you do some cool blending of acoustic and electric sounds. They should run about $100-$200 — a whole lot cheaper than buying a decent acoustic. Check out http://www.fishman.com/products/electric-guitar-products.asp