How do you play guitar and sing at the same time?

I can play chords and I can sing, but I can’t do both at the same time. My guitar rhythm always ends up following the vocal rhythm. How do you learn to keep them separate?

It’s a matter of practice. Sooner or later your hands will learn to act mechanically and without you having to concentrate on them. That’s when it’ll become easy to sing, talk or think about something else while you keep playing. It’s just like when we’re babies, and at first it’s a huge effort to stand, crawl and finally walk. But eventually, after doing it many many many many many times, we learn to do it properly and at the same time we can talk, use a phone, etc.
by: Sebastian
on: 17th February 11

7 Responses to How do you play guitar and sing at the same time?

1. Clapton says:

They’re supposed to match lol

2. xSymphonii says:

Hey 🙂

I had the same problem but the best thing to do is – start playing a song (which you want to sing with) and the hum. If you get mixed up, don’t worry practice makes perfect 😉 Then start to sing only a stanza for example, and after practicing you’ll be able to sing a whole song while playing your guitar 😀

Don’t give up, I didn’t get it on the first try but eventually you’ll get it 🙂

3. Matthew says:

Its hard to do it at the same time because you have to play your guitar and focus on the tabs and sing all at once
    i’d say it just takes practice

4. Sebastian says:

5. Joey says:

Answer this question:
    Can you rub your head and pat your belly while singing “We are the Champions” All at the same time?
    ….

If you Answered No:
    – You will fail at life, you can’t multi-task for ****. If you cant do something as simple as pat your ****en belly then you can’t play the guitar and sing at the same time.

If you Answered Yes: Good For you. Now you can check off one thing on your to-do-list before you die 🙂

6. LucasMan says:

It just takes time and practice.

The trick is to stop thinking of them as separate things. The guitar and vocal parts are both part of the same song, so while they are separate parts, they are related.

You need to figure out how the two parts are related, primarily how the rhythms sound together. Do any of the melody notes line up with notes on the guitar part? Are there certain sections where the rhythms are really different?

One helpful exercise is to write out the rhythms to both parts on a single line. Figure out the rhythm of both parts combined. Then, when you play the song, you just need to remember if that beat is a vocal note, a guitar note, or both.

7. unborn098111 says:

It’s called limb independancy, it’s essential for music especially in drummers.
    I have good limb independancy in my feet and hands, but I can’t do a beat with my feet and a different one with my hands. I can do a constant rythm with say my left foot, the do a different more sophisticated one with my right foot.
    The same applies to playing guitar and singing, I agree with the humming part. It takes a while, it will probably take the same time it took to learn guitar and learn to sing as it will to master this independancy. Just practice.