How do I improve my guitar playing while standing?

I want to get better at playing while standing, I play the electric guitar, and I mostly play Metallica. How does James Hetfield play the guitar while having it so low? Is this something that gets easier when you are fully grown (I’m 16), or does it come with practice?

The way i used to practice was start off by using the strap at a height you feel comfortable with. You’ll get the feel of playing standing up which is a bit tricky but as you get used to it you can lower the strap. eventually you will start to get used to playing standing up, and trust me, after 10 to 20 minutes playing standing up, it will already feel a bit more comfortable. But you must learn to do this every time you practice or you will lose it. Just like practicing sweeping. Start off small, and work your way up and you WILL get better.

Rock On Man \m/,
by: slAsh_OWnS
on: 16th December 10

8 Responses to How do I improve my guitar playing while standing?

1. Sexy Tuba says:

just practice standing up and you will get better.

2. Brent Smith says:

It is a lot easier to play your guitar efficiently when it’s closer up on your body, but it’s sort of a preference. You should try adjusting your strap so it feels “right” when you’re playing.

🙂

3. NiaNarcissist says:

When first starting out on trying anything new, of course it will feel uncomfortable. Just keep on practicing and let your body get used to it. The more you play, you’ll eventually get to the point where it feels normal to be standing while playing. Practice, practice, practice..

4. Miranda Force says:

you have to practive with a strap infront of a miror. dont look down and be confident in your figers

5. slAsh_OWnS says:

Rock On Man \m/,

6. Ace says:

Playing while standing is definitely difficult, especially if you’re used to playing while sitting. I suggest trying various lengths with your strap to see which position is the most comfortable for you. Naturally, you’re able to tilt the guitar towards you a bit while you’re sitting. This isn’t proper but we all do it. When you stand and play, this type of tiling is nearly impossible so your view of the fretboard isn’t going to be as good. The benefit is, you’re going to rely more on your touch and muscle memory more than your eye which will make you a better player overall. It’s cliche, but the main way to improve while standing is practice, practice, practice!

7. kirkruls says:

I`ve read some of the comments and i must disagree with most of them, playing good while standing would result from experience by sitting down and learning your fretboard. Be very confortable playing while sitting then there should be no problem doing it while standing.

When i started playing while standing, i had my guitar up to my neck, now I play with the strap set as low as possible without no mistakes or even looking at the fretboard.

Remember! Never keep your guitar above your belt unless your playing technical stuff or else your just gonna look like the beatles hahahah 😛

8. John Leyo 1 says:

That question is kinda hard to answer. I mean… while standing? It’s almost the same thing. You’ll get used to it, just try to keep it closer to your body.