How can I keep my guitar straps from unscrewing or unhooking?

I was wondering if anyone would know the best way to keep a guitar strap from unhooking or the screw from unscrewing from the guitar?

The best way is to take the screw out of the guitar. Place a large washer that the strap can’t open up and go through, and then put some wood glue in the guitar screw hole, and screw it back on. The glue will prevent the screw from comming loose. The washer will prevent the strap from comming undone at the hook(screw) point. I’ve shaken my axe unmercifully on stage, and it has never come off.
by: Axe-Notes
on: 7th July 09

9 Responses to How can I keep my guitar straps from unscrewing or unhooking?

1. The True Assassin says:

duct tape…lots and lots of duct tape

2. Maddy says:

wrap a rubber band around the metal part.. a rubber band thats thick enough to act as a stopper.

just a quick fix though 🙂

3. guitarnoob89 says:

You can get locks to secure your strap idk about the screw though

4. rmm says:

I don’t know anything about guitars, but either a lock washer or some Lock-tite liquid would help. The lock-tite works like a glue – but can be removed with a little force (it is NOT a super glue)

5. David says:

You can buy ‘Strap Locks’ which have a part that replaces the screw, and another part that fits on the end of your strap. These are much more secure than the standard method.
    If the screw is becoming loose (e.g. because it has come out too many times) the best method would be to remove it and fill most of the hole with plaster or plastic wood. You can then screw it in again into the (now smaller) hole and it should be secure.

6. sk8inghedgehog says:

buy guitar clips at your local music store. theyr like round stoppers you put on the ends of the straps, if you dont know what im talking about, ask someone who works there, they should know. hope this helps 🙂

7. friendsdontletfriendsridemongo says:

I used gorilla glue when the strap button fell off of my cheap strat, but you might want to take your instrument to a guitar store if it’s valuable. My strat has no resale value, so I can do anything to it and it will be okay.

8. Axe-Notes says:

9. Darla B says:

redrill a new hole i have a guitar and thats wat i did its east fast and it works