Can you play acoustic guitar songs with an electric?

I want to get a guitar, but I’m confused at which one. I want to play acoustic guitar songs and want to try starting electric guitar songs, But I don’t want to have 2 different guitars.
Btw, I already know how to play with the acoustic. I’m just asking which I should get.

Can you play acoustic guitar songs with an electric? Yes.

I want to play acoustic guitar songs and want to try starting electric guitar songs, You can do this. The songs written for the electric will not sound the same of course.

But I don’t want to have 2 different guitars. You will eventually.

I want to get a guitar, but I’m confused at which one. Start with the acoustic first. Almost all beginners start out with an acoustic. From the question you seem more interested in the acoustic anyway.
by: Steven M
on: 20th November 10

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Can you play acoustic guitar songs with an electric?

1. Fizzy Roboto says:

Yeah there the same thing, it’s just ones amplified.

2. The Coroner of China says:

let me answer it… no you can’t sorry… I’ve got grave news… it won’t work… you can fool yourself into hearing the acoustic when you play the electric but the sound is not the same thing… you will miss it.. and your guitar playing will suffer… to a mild extent… but it’s noticeable when you have both…. once again sorry for the news…

Na… you can get away with it and write great stuff. if you want to have accoustic in the part you are recording than borrow one… right?

okay what’s the answer… let’s ask the coroner.. he play’s guitar….

ah, here again you guys have got me into another one and no is the answer by default… acoustic and electric are even spelled different hopefully to spot the difference before someone that is new to the instrument spends all their money banking on something they will find out too late.

3. Philip says:

I don’t want to sound as rude as the guy above me, but he’s right. There is a huge difference in playing. If you get an electric first, you will suffer. If you really want to get an electric, buy a cheap but decent acoustic. Learn all of your chord structures and chord changes and then once you know you have that down, switch to electric. It is much easier to play as the body is smaller, the fretboard is more accessible and the strings are more flexible. The reason I say get an acoustic first is because electric will seem much easier once you switch. However, acoustic is always a great guitar. Don’t completely discard it once you get an electric. You can tweak the tone of your amp on your electric to get a similar acoustic sound, but it’s not the same.

4. Steven M says:

Can you play acoustic guitar songs with an electric? Yes.

But I don’t want to have 2 different guitars. You will eventually.

5. lizardness says:

You can use an acoustic simulator like a Boss ac-2. I have an ac-3 and an ac-2. I like the ac-2 much more yet I hear there are much better ones out there. At any rate it works well with a single coil pickup and not so well with a humbucker.

6. ian p says:

if your still learning then electric is easier to play, so i say go electric, get something decent though, you will loose interest with a poor guitar of any type, as long as your playing thats all that counts, have fun

7. ..... says:

I have both and I play the same songs on each of them it doesn’t matter whether its acoustic or electric. I’m guessing by acoustic songs you are playing strummy kind of songs or finger-style, the only thing you really need to do is play around with the amp settings to find what sounds best with what ever style your playing or sound you want. Whether its an electric or acoustic the notes are all in the same place and the chords are all the same and will sound relatively the same too. If you know how to play an acoustic then you know how to play an electric.

8. pinhed_1976 says:

i used to put the microphone right inside the hole, then crank the volume up, got a really cool distorted sound

9. Matt H says:

Pretty much, they play exactly the same so you can physically do it but they sound different so it doesn’t always work out.

10. phllipe b says:

you’ve enter crazy land,,,, there is no such thing as an A being different from being A,,,,, it is always the same,,whether it is your voice or a piano
    electric is easier on the fingers to play
    do yourself and all of us a favor,,,,,,,,, dont learn structure,scales and or chords
    its music! you dont look at it you hear it,,,,,learn to feel it

11. ? says:

Playing the same song just switching to electric is basically the same BUT its not, you have acoustic versions of songs and electric guitar songs, tabs will be different if you play off tabs between an acoustic and an electric.. but you can play practically the same notes. Check my site producer of 7 years

My Site: http://www.roycebeatz.webs.com